The Income Tax Department has advised all PAN users to link with Aadhaar in order to keep financial vigilance and avoid fraud. For this, the deadline has also been extended several times.
Now till June 30, time has been given to link PAN with Aadhaar. In such a situation, PAN users should not wait for the 30th, but now link PAN with Aadhaar by depositing the fees online.
Why is it necessary to link PAN with Aadhaar?
The Income Tax Department has told PAN users that according to the Income Tax Act 1961, all PAN holders who do not come under the exemption category, must link their PAN number with Aadhaar before June 30, 2023. If PAN is not linked to Aadhaar, PAN will be canceled from 1 July 2023 under Section-139AA of the Income Tax Act.
Has the fee for PAN link been increased?
According to the Income Tax Department, till July 1, 2022, the process of linking PAN with Aadhaar was free. After this, PAN users were given the opportunity to link till June 30, 2022, but the fee was reduced to Rs 500. After this, the deadline for linking PAN has been extended till March 31, 2023, and for this, PAN users were charged Rs 1,000 as a late fee. Now PAN has to be linked by June 30, but this time there has been no increase in the fees.
What is the mode of depositing the PAN link fee?
According to the website of the Income Tax Department, the fee for linking PAN with Aadhaar has been fixed at Rs 1,000. Online mode can be adopted to pay the fees.
- For the request to link PAN Aadhaar, users must first visit https://onlineservices.tin.egov-nsdl.com/etaxnew/tdsnontds.jsp or NSDL portal.
- Click on PROCEED under CHALLAN NO./ITNS 280 to submit the request for linking of PAN with Aadhaar.
- Now choose Select Tax Applicable.
- Thereafter make sure to pay the fee of Rs.1,000 (fee) and under in a single challan.
- Now choose the mode of payment through Net Banking or Debit Card.
- After that enter the PAN number, select the specified year and enter the address.
- After this fill the captcha code and click on proceed.
- Once the payment is done, the taxpayer can link PAN-Aadhaar.