Cyclone ‘Biparjoy’ has rapidly intensified into a severe cyclonic storm, with meteorologists predicting a “mild” monsoon onset over Kerala and “weak” progress beyond the southern peninsula under its influence, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
It stated that the depression over Southeast Arabian Sea is likely to move nearly northwards and intensify into a cyclonic storm over east central Arabian Sea and adjoining southeast during the next 12 hours.
– Advertisement –
In its latest bulletin on Wednesday, the weather office predicted heavy rainfall over Andaman & Nicobar Island, Kerala, South Interior Karnataka, Manipur, Mizoram, Assam, Meghalaya, and Arunachal Pradesh for the next three to four days.
IMD forecast: Rainfall alert for these states
1) Light/moderate fairly widespread rainfall with thunderstorm/lightning/gusty winds very likely over Kerala, Lakshadweep, South Interior Karnataka; isolated to scattered activity over Coastal & North Interior Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh during next 5 days.
2) Heavy rainfall very likely at isolated places over Andaman & Nicobar Islands on 06th, 07th& 10th; Kerala during 06th-10th and South Interior Karnataka on 09th & 10th June.
3) Light/moderate scattered to fairly widespread rainfall with thunderstorm/lightning very likely over the region during next 5 days. Isolated heavy rainfall very likely over Manipur on 06th, Manipur & Mizoram on 07th and Arunachal Pradesh, Assam & Meghalaya on 10th June.
4) Light/moderate isolated rainfall with thunderstorm/lightning very likely over Northwest India on 06th & 07th June. Thundersquall (speed 50-60 kmph) likely over West Rajasthan on 06th & 07th and over East Rajasthan on 06th June.
5) Rainfall/thundershowers were observed today at most places over Andaman & Nicobar Islands; at many places over Uttarakhand, Kerala & Mahe, Lakshadweep; at a few places over Himachal Pradesh, Jammu, Kashmir, Ladakh, Gilgit, Baltistan & Muzaffarabad.
6) Heavy rainfall was observed at isolated places over Himachal Pradesh, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
– Advertisement –